Saturday, May 19, 2012

Memory 24: In Our Hearts


It was the last quarter for the graduating batch of 2008 in St. Bridget School. Everyone was excited about graduation practices and togas. Even our teachers and other school administrators were all excited and proud at the same time to see us march and enter another chapter in our lives.

I was nervous than excited during that time. It was also a time where the graduating classes needed to find a perfect graduation song fit for the batch. The graduating seniors had three sections with a total of 137 students. I was one of them. Our class president came to me and asked if I could write something as a graduation song. That put a lot of pressure on me since the other class already submitted with complete music and arrangement. For our class president to ask me to write a song, it took me a lot of pressure. But I did it anyway just to give our music teachers choices for our graduation song.

And so I wrote a song and let my best friends hear it. I had no courage back then to show my work to my music teachers Sir Dio and Miss Charm. My best friend Mara pushed me and one day, I played the song to them. And right then, they agreed to make it as our graduation song. It was an honor for me. It was my second time to write a song and got appreciated for it.

Less than three weeks before graduation, Miss Charm asked me to play it in front of the batch. I never got the courage but Shane went with me in front and volunteered to play for me. And so I sang. The next day, we were all practicing for the song. Our music teachers even asked other aspiring singers from the batch to make up a band for the graduation song.

Many of my batch mates came to me and told me how much they like the song that I wrote for graduation. Since I don't know much about guitars, I just played with the basic chords. I even heard bad things that I just used a familiar melody for it and it's not an original composition. I may have used a familiar combination of chords but I had my own arrangement and lyrics. So that made my song different and unique.

March 14, 2008 came. Parents, relatives, friends, teachers, school administrators, and even the maintenance filled the auditorium. We marched with pride and savored the moment till the end.

When we're about to sing the graduation song, the emcee announced that I was the one who wrote it and that made my parents really proud. Even the lower batch came and heard it.

Anyway, since I can't post the music. I'll just share the lyrics. I actually lost the recorded file when my computer rebooted. So here it is...

IN OUR HEARTS
Music and lyrics by Faye Saguiguit 


This is the place where we all began
Experiencing all our first times
Thinking about nothing but play
Having fun with our friends each day

Day by day, we learn how life cycles
The simple math would soon be complicated
Values and faith were strengthened
Learned to appreciate even the smallest things

Refrain:
But even though we're about to face a new stage in our lives
We shouldn't be afraid to where our destiny may bring us
Just remember...

Chorus:

No matter what happens
No matter where our hearts lead us
We'll still be coming back here
And reminisce all that we've been through
Cherish every moment the way we've kept each other
In our hearts

Life's not only about fun but also about hardships
We've been through many struggles
Even finding ourselves was hard to do
And yet we still have the smiles to ease all these pains

(Repeat Refrain)
(Repeat Chorus)

Bridge:
We're taking another step towards a new life
We all know that this wouldn't be easy for all of us
But we must hold on to this change
And believe...
Believe...

(Repeat Chorus twice)

...in our hearts ♥

I promise as soon as I find the time to record it again, I'll post my own version here :) But here's a video of our batch singing the graduation song. I was playing the guitar. The one who uploaded the video didn't know I was the one who composed the song. Hihi. Anyway, enjoy!


In Our Hearts sang by St. Bridget's School Batch 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment