Monday, April 16, 2012

Memory 3: Till We Meet Again



A relative died November 7 last year. I couldn't look inside the casket. I wasn't afraid but I’d rather remember the faces of the dead when they were still alive. But besides that, what really caught my attention were the faces of our other relatives. I felt the grief and saw how much they wanted to have more time with her. But, they just let God continue with His plans for He knows what's best for everyone.


Here's what I think about death.
  

One should not fear death. It is just a separation of the soul from the materialism of this world. One must realize that in the next lifetime, everyone will be reunited in His graces, in His kingdom. One day, you and your loved one will meet again.

I entered this hall and quietly found a seat. My senses were awakened by the smell of the fresh flowers that filled the room and the sight of the pretty little pots neatly arranged infront with the lights on the side that made my eyes squint as I recognize the object at the center.

My mind wandered in the four corners of the hall. How can you find beauty in death? How can these flowers look so alive while they are placed next to a lifeless person? How can death be celebrated in this manner when after the days of mourning, the dead will remain dead? These questions lingered in my mind as my eyes observe the hall.

Death is not a bad or ugly thing. We lose our loved ones physically but their memories will remain with us. Either good or bad, it is still worth remembering.

As I look into the flowers that are beautifully arranged in front, I realized that it represents the life of a person. God planted the seed and nourished it till it’s full bloomed. But as time goes by, the flowers will reach its maximum beauty, and in that time, God will harvest it.

People come and go, wrote their names on this some form of log book outside the hall, stayed for a few minutes or even hours to express condolences to the family. A simple thing for some but it meant a lot to the family suffering a loss, or worse, losses.

Memories were recalled, relived and remembered as people try to cope from the loss. Is it enough that you had good memories with the person who died before you? Do good memories help you move on from the absence of the most important person in your life?

Right then I realized, yes, these people who lost their loved ones are grieving. Crying is one way of showing your emotions. But these people, they opted to share the memories of their beloved to their relatives and visitors. Their beloved lived a good life and rightfully deserves a celebration. Not death, but living a wonderful life.

It is painful to lose the one you love physically. Like what others say, you can never cope with the loss. You just get used to the pain. The absence of that person will only make it hard to cope but it’s not bad after all. Everyone is prepared for the next stage of our lives. God laid out His plans to us and we are given this life for us to cherish and value. One or two will go before us and that’s a fact. We just have to value this life as much as our beloved celebrated the wonder of God’s gift of life.

As I leave the hall, I took a short glance inside and sighed. I may not have the courage to see you for the last time but I will have the courage to say, TILL WE MEET AGAIN.


No comments:

Post a Comment